About / Exhibitions / Publications / Talks
I'm a new media artist and Head of Research in the Faculty of Arts and Humanities at TU Dublin.
I hold a PhD from the Dublin Institute of Technology, a MFA from the National College of Art and Design Dublin, a BSc from University College Dublin and was an Irish Government funded Research Scholar at GradCAM Dublin from 2008-2012.
I can be contacted at conor.mcgarrigle [AT] tudublin.ie or conormcgarrigle [AT] tuta.io
I'm on Twitter, Mastodon and Academia.edu
Game Up, Transmediale Studio, Silent Green KulturQuartier, Berlin. June 2022
Latent Space, Arts Council Commission 2020
Undersea, billboard for Skibbereen Arts Festival 2019
Screentime, Green on Red Gallery Dublin, May 2019
Tulca: Syntonic State, Galway, November 2018.
Hustle, Science Gallery Detroit, June-August 2018
Building City Dashboards exhibition, Maynooth University, June 2018
Dublin Dashboard Artist in Residence ( DCC/Maynooth University). January-June 2018.
Dawn or Doom, Patti and Rusty Rueff Galleries, Purdue University, Indiana USA
Computer Art Congress (CAC5), MSH Nord Paris, October 2016.
ENTER Canarias, Tenerife Espacio de las Artes, Santa Cruz de Tenerife September 2016
Visio Festival, Teurastamo Helsinki, July 2016.
The Oslo Flaneur Festival, Kulturhuset Oslo, June 2016.
DRHA 2015, Dublin City University, September 2015.
Newman Festival, Druskininkai Lithuania, July 2015.
Play Grounds Redline Gallery Denver, June 2015
WADE IN, Eastern Edge Gallery, St. Johns Nova Scotia. February 2014
The University of Denver Triennial, January 2015
That Teenage Feeling, Videofag Toronto, December 2014.
Tulca 2014: Neutral, Galway November 2014.
SIMULTAN 10, Timisoara Romania, October 2014.
DRHA Exhibition, University of Greenwich, September 2014.
The Prairie Picture Show public screening on prairie land east of Denver.
Walking West, durational walking performance on Denver's Colfax Ave 2014.
Theorizing the Web exhibition, Brooklyn NY, April 2014.
Slingshot Athens, GA March 2014.
24h Social, installation at Counterpath Gallery Denver, February 2014
Stuff on Stuff on Stuff, CAAlternate, CAA Chicago, February 2014.
Breaking Bad:the bitTorrent Edition, final video in the bitTorrent Trilogy.
Vineland, an Augmented Reality App for IOS and Android platforms.
The Athens Austerity Walk, Locative Media for Slingshot festival , Athens Georgia, March 2013.
and whenabouts in the name of space, solo exhibition Myhren Gallery Denver, Nov-Dec 2012.
Joyce in the City, for One Book, One City Dublin, Apr-Jun 2012
March 2012, SITE Santa Fe, New Mexico, March 2012.
Game On / Re-Newing Media Art, Glucksman Gallery Cork, March 2012.
Exhibition toured to:
Siamsa Tire, Tralee;
Garter Lane, Waterford;
The Source, Thurles
Occupy Space, Limerick
Unfolding Narratives, Locative Soundwalk commissioned by Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council, November 2011.
Joyce in Art, Museum of Art, Seoul National University July-September 2011.
IRL In Real Life. The Irish Museum of Contemporary Art (IMOCA) July 2011.
Lebanese Pavilion at the 54th Venice Biennale of Art. WalkSpace:Beirut-Venice commissioned for the Lebanese Pavilion June- November 2011.
NAMArama Walking Tour, a public walking tour of Dublin's NAMAland guided by the NAMAland app in association with Market Studios NAMArama exhibition. February 12th 2011.
Unrealised Potential VOID Derry Jan-Feb 2011
Unrealised Potential The Northern Centre for Contemporary Art, November 2010 - Jan 2011.
WalkSpace alternative walking art app for the iPhone, released November 2010.
NAMAland, augmented reality locative media app for the iPhone and Android phones, released October 2010.
Unrealised Potential Cornerhouse Manchester, July-Sept 2010.
Joyce's Artistic Effects Tolstoy Museum Yasnaya Polyana Russia, Sept 2010.
Space is the Place August 2009 curated exhibition at NCAD Gallery for ISEA 2009.
JoyceWalks, Palma de Mallorca. Fundacio Joan i Pilar Miro, Mallorca June 2009.
Writing the City GPS drawing Walk March 2009
Vague Terrain Journal #13 CitySCENE March 2009
International Guerilla Video Festival Dublin February 2009
The St Etienne Biennale St. Etienne France November 2008
Art Tech Media 08 Cordoba Spain November 2008
The Art of Research: Research Narratives Chelsea College of of Art & Design London October 2008
The Manchester Freedom Trail: Territories Reimagined: International Perspectives. Manchester. June 2008.
Lightwave Science Gallery Dublin Feb 2008
File Rio 2008 Oi Futuro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil February 2008
Filmhaus Stuttgart, Germany January 2008
Tulca 2007 Galway Arts Centre, November 2007
Best in Show Digital Hub Dublin, November 2007
Screenshow Wexford Arts Centre, Aug 2007
FILE 2007 Sao Paulo Brazil, August 2007
D/Art07 Sydney Australia, July 2007
NCAD MA Graduate Exhibition Dublin, June 2007
FILE Rio 2007, Rio de Janeiro Brazil March 2007
Ev+A 2007, curator Klaus Ottman Limerick March 2007
Interdisciplinary Festival of New Media, Nevada USA Nov 2006
Media Art Friesland, Netherlands Sept 2006
The Vending Machine Project, various locations Dublin Sept 2006
FILE 2006 São Paulo, Brazil Aug-Sept 2006
Seoul Net Festival Finalist in International Competition, Seoul Korea June - Sept 2006
MAPLESS NCAD MFA interim exhibition, Backloft Gallery Dublin April 2006
FILE RIO Rio de Janeiro, Brazil March 2006
Thailand New Media Arts Festival (MAF05) February 2005 Bangkok, Thailand
5th Symposium on Art & Multimedia : Metanarrative(s)? Caixa Forum, Barcelona. January 2005.
The Net Art Open 2004-6 curator and participating artist
Rejoyce Dublin 2004
[R] - [R] - [F] - 2004 Kalinderu MediaLab National Museum of Contemporary Art
Bucharesti Romania, March 2004
JavaMuseum Netart from Great Britain and Ireland, Jan 2004
Marks of Omission, Arthouse, Dublin Sept - Oct 2001
Imagine 2001 University of Gavle, Gavle Sweden, December 2001.
FILE, August-September 2001, Sao Paulo Brazil
The Lite Show, Boston Cyber Arts Festival, Boston, USA April 2001
Net-Z-Lab Internet Kunst Preis 2001, (Chemnitz, Germany)
CyNetArt 2000 Dresden Nov 2000
The Werkleitz Biennale 2000
Art on the Net 1999, 2000 Machida City Museum of Graphic Arts Tokyo
d>art00 festival Sydney June 2000
Darklight digital film festival Dublin, Straylight exhibition May 2000
Intermedia_ 2000; Triskel Arts Centre Cork.
SIGGRAPH 2000; , New Orleans, USA .
X-00 Art Festival Lorient, France March 2000 .
SIGGRAPH '99 Los Angeles
Selected for the Siggraph99 TravellingShow world tour
No longer updated. See here for latest news
I gave an artist talk for Tulca Syntonic State, in the Centre for Creative Arts and Media GMIT, November 19. 2018
I gave a paper on Data Psychogeography at Bodies of Data: Intersecting Medical and Digital humanities, UCD Humanities Institute. Nov 2018.
I gave a paper on the Data Pharmakon at Global Control, RIXC Art Science Conference at the National Library of Latvia, Riga. September 2018.
I gave a paper on Data and the Smart City at the Contributive Economy in a Society of Care colloquium for the Real Smart City research project, Pompidou Paris
I gave a paper on data-driven art and social media at the Research Pavilion, 57th Venice Biennale of Art. October 2017.
I gave a paper on Detourning Data, Economia conference, Baltan Laboratories, Eindhoven. April 2017
I gave an artist's talk at Transit Gateway - Mapping Phase 7: Dublin Port from 1947 to 1964 / Reconstruction, The Lab Dublin.
I presented on AI and big data at After the Future of Work symposium, Robert Emmett Community Development Project
I co-chaired a panel on Art in the Age of Financial Crisis at the College Art Association Conference, New York City. February 2017
I gave the Fine Art Faculty Lecture, NCAD, January 2017.
I gave a talk on Data-driven Art, Digital Art and Education in the Anthropocene, National Digital Week, West Cork Arts Centre. November 2106.
I participated in the Impact16 Interactive Symposium, Pact Zollverein, Essen Germany.
I gave a paper on Digital Art Conservation at the 5th Computer Art Congress (CAC.5) Paris. October 2016.
I gave a paper on The Flaneur in the Smart City for the Oslo Flaneur Festival, JUne 2016.
I spoke on Locative Media for the Geographical Turn interdisciplinary art and geography symposium, Gallery of Photography Dublin.
I gave a public lecture as part of the Boolean Expressions: contemporary art and mathematical data exhibition, Glucksman gallery, Cork. October 29 2015.
I presented current research at the Networks: connections to the future seminar at the Royal Irish Academy Dublin, October 23.
I conducted a Public Interview with artist Alan butler at the exhibition We were promised anarchy and all we got was chaos, Solstice Arts Centre, October
I gave a paper on Psychogeography, code and walking art, at Renewable Futures, Riga Latvia
I lectured on Practice Based research talk at the GradCAM Research Pavilion at the Venice Biennale 2105.
I presented at the Public Art and Social Practice panel at Imagine 2020, City of Denver Public Art Symposium, Denver CO, USA. May 15 2015.
I gave a paper on Walking, Code and Psychogeography at DRHA 2015, Dublin City University.
I gave a paper on the preservation of born digital art at the DPASSH conference at Croke Park Dublin, June 2015
I gave a paper on 24 hours of Vine, big data and social performance at DRHA 2014, University of Greenwich London.
I gave an artist talk on Walking West at Counterpath Gallery Denver, April 12 2014.
I was a panelist on the Public Art Dialogue panel Public Art and its Role in Placemaking from an International Perspective panel speaking on Digital Art and Placemaking at the CAA conference Chicago, February 14.
I gave a paper on The Data of Vine at Theorizing the Web 2014, Brooklyn, NY.
I gave a University of Denver AHSS Salon Talk, The Art of Walking : from the Flâneur of Paris to Francis Alÿs, January 2014.
I gave a paper entitled 'Locative Histories: exploring the continued influence of early Locative Media art" at RENEW 2013, the 5th International Conference on the Histories of Media Art, Science and Technology in Riga, October 11th 2013.
I curated and chaired a pre-conference seminar for Association of Internet Researchers Conference on Rethinking Internet Art October 2013.
I gave a paper entitled 'Counter Narratives in a Time of Crisis' at the Mediacities Conference, State University of New York at Buffalo, May 2013
I spoke on a panel on Locative Media and Society as part of the Athens Slingshot Festival, Athens GA, organized by the ICE initiative at the University of Georgia, March 2013.
I spoke as part of !Exploit: A Hacktivist Panel with Julian Oliver, Danja Vasiliev chaired by Dmytri Kleiner at the Science Gallery Dublin, Jun 2012
I gave an artist talk at the University of Denver and conducted a locative media workshop with Emergent Digital Practices students March 2012.
I gave a talk for the occupyuniversity at #OccupyDameStreet on plans to crowdsource the locations of NAMA properties on November 24th.
I spoke at the Irish Internet Association OpenData: The Game is On Seminar at the National Digital Research Centre Dublin, Nov 7th 2011.
I spoke on a panel on Design, Data and Public Space with Adam Greenfield, author of Everyware and Ali Grehan Dublin City Architect at the Science Gallery on Tuesday October 18th 2011.
I curated a pop-up talk entitled Living with the Panopticon: Acts of Non-compliance in the Digital World for Dublin Contemporary on Thursday 13th October 2011.
I gave a talk on 'Social Media and the Arab Spring' at 'The Arab Spring: A new reality for Art and Culture in the World' conference at the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts, Copenhagen. Friday October 7th 2011.
ISEA 2011 Gave a paper How Locative Media Art set the Agenda for Location-Aware Apps on the Locative Media and Social Data panel, September 2011. The paper is online here.
DRHA 2011 Paper AppSpace – how location aware art apps recode space, University of Nottingham Ningbo, China, September 2011.
I spoke at a Mapping Seminar for the Architects Association of Ireland at The Lab Dublin, April 2011.
I spoke on Ireland after NAMA at the the Exchange Dublin, Feb 2011.
I spoke on a public panel on Intellectual Property and New Internet Technologies on Saturday 27th November 2010 in the Temple Bar Gallery with Jim Carroll (Music Journalist, The Irish Times) and Keith Donald (Chairman of IMRO, Irish Music Rights Organisation).
I spoke on a panel on 'The New Screens of Activism' for Darklight Film Festival at Grand Social Dublin, on Saturday 30th October 2010.
DRHA 2010 Gave a paper -Walking, Art & the iPhone: a case study of the iphone as a platform for walking art - at the DRHA 2010 conference at Brunel University London, Sept 5-8 2010.
I gave a paper on Locative Media and the Situationists at the Arts research: publics and purposes conference at Temple Bar Galleries Feb 2010.
Digital Art and Culture 2009 DAC09 plenary paper University of California Irvine, December 13th 2009.
ISEA 2009 Gave a paper - JoyceWalks: remapping Culture as Tactical Space - at ISEA2009 Belfast Aug 26 2009
Now_here Gave a talk on my practice and Locative Media for the Now_Here symposium at Fundacio Miro Mallorca, June 2009.
Performing the City roundtable TCD April 2009
Transformations: How Research is Changing Ireland, Science Gallery Dublin , November 2008.
Arts Council New Media, New Audience? one day working seminar on the arts, new media and broadcasting, Dublin Castle. Panellist on the 'New Technologies, Old Traditions' panel. November 2008
No longer updated. See here for publications
- Marisa Lerer & Conor McGarrigle (2018) Art in the Age of Financial Crisis, Visual Resources, 34:1-2, 1-12, 2018
- Augmented Reality as Emergent Art Form, revised 2nd edition chapter in an edited book in Geroimenko, V. (ed) “Augmented Reality Art: From an Emerging Technology to a Novel Creative Medium”, Springer-Verlag. 2nd Edition. 2018
- Four Augmented Reality Artworks, chapter in an edited book in Tinnell, J. "All the World’s a Link: Perspectives on Augmented Reality across Art, Industry,and the Humanities", Parlor Press.
- Walking Code in Renewable Futures. Art, Science and Society in the Post-Media Age, Acoustic Space Vol 16, 2017. RIXC, The Centre for New Media Culture.
- Preserving born digital data-art in Reyes-Garcia, E., Chatel-Innocenti, P., Zreik, K. “Archiving and Questioning Immateriality: proceedings of the 5th Computer Art Congress", Paris.
- Preserving Born Digital Art: Lessons From Artists' Practice in New Review of Networking, Vol 20 Issue1-2, Routledge.
- Locative Histories: exploring the continued influence of early Locative Media art. Acoustic Space #12, Techno Ecologies 2 Journal. RIXC LiepU MPLab 2014
- Augmented Interventions: Re-defining Urban Interventions with AR and Open Data, chapter in an edited book in Geroimenko, V. (ed) “Augmented Reality Art: From an Emerging Technology to a Novel Creative Medium”, Springer- Verlag, 2014.
- Locative Media as Remix, chapter in an edited book in Burrough, X., Gallagher, O., Navas, E. (Eds) “Routledge Companion to Remix Studies”, Routledge, 2014.
- Forget the flâneur, in Cleland, K., Fisher, L. & Harley, R. (2013) “Proceedings of the 19th International Symposium on Electronic Art”, ISEA2013, Sydney
- Augmented Resistance: The Possibilities for AR and Data Driven Art. Leonardo Electronic Almanac, Not Here Not There, Vol 19 Issue 1. 2013.
Winner of the 2014 Leonardo Award for Excellence.
- Counter Narratives in a Time of Crisis, proceedings of Mediacities Conference, State University of New York at Buffalo, May 2013.
- The Art of Walking a field guide, ed David Evans: book section on WalkSpace: Beirut-Venice. Black Dog, 2013.
- How Locative Media Art set the agenda for mobile location aware apps (and why this still matters), in Aceti, L., ?ahin, O. (2011) “Proceedings of the 17th International Symposium on Electronic Art”, ISEA2011, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Net Works, case studies of internet art, ed. Xtine Burroughs: Book Chapter on Joyce Walks project. Routledge USA Sept 2011
- The Construction of Locative Situations, in “Digital Creativity”, Vol 21 Issue 1, Routledge.
- The Construction of Locative Situations; Penny, Simon (ed.) After Media, Embodiment and Context, Proceedings of The Digital Arts and Culture Conference 2009. University of California 2010
- JoyceWalks; in Smith, Greg (Ed) Vague Terrain 13 "CityScene"
- Game On Re-newing Media Art, Glucksman Gallery, Cork.
- Geomatrix Reconfigured Habits, FILE Sao Paulo 2007.
- Documenta 12 Magazine Project 2007.
- EV+A 2007 A Sense of Place. Gandon Editions 2007.
- NCAD MA Yearbook 2007, NCAD 2007.
- FILE Rio, Festival Internacional de Linguagem Eletronica 2007
- FILE Rio, Festival Internacioanl de Linguagem Eletronica 2006
- Contexts Volume 3 Issue 3 Considering Iraq: 1: online, images at
- Hypermedia, FILE Sao Paulo 2005.
- Internet Art Digital Culture, FILE Sao Paulo 2002.
- Net Art Guide - Fraunhofer Electronic Business
Innovationszentrum, Stuttgart 2000.
- CyNetArt 2000 - Internationales Festival Für Computergestützte
- SIGGRAPH 2000 Electronic Art and Animation Catalog ACM SIGGRAPH
- SIGGRAPH 99 Electronic Art and Animation Catalog ACM SIGGRAPH
- Conor McGarrigle New work Linenhall Arts Centre 1998